Sunday, February 26, 2006

Genius He Is

For last one week I was forcing myself and convincing me to do something which I just did not wanted to.

I am not much of a music person, I can say I love trance music (especially psy-trance) as my brain readily understands the underlying pattern. Besides this genre of music I don’t listen much of anything else. I don’t mind if someone is playing the latest bangra tune or the new hindi remix or even pop, rock, blues, jazz, its just that I don’t go out of my way to groove on these.

Coming back to the point, I had promised my mother and my wife that I will take them to the Jagjit Singh Show. When my wife called up a week back that the tickets are available and whether she should pick on extra for me to tag along, I don’t know why I just agreed to it.

Well glad I did, it was one of the most fantastic times I had in a long time. What a voice. Okay, all of you JS fans must be going “You didn’t knew that”, well I knew he is considered a maestro gazal singer but had never really heard his pieces the way I did today.

Genius, he and his team were on fire, speaking and playing their own raga language. I will be lying if I say that I understood the lyrics. But I could clearly see the rhythm, I was able to find the slightest of pres and posts, the ups and downs, the pattern was beautiful.

Today JS has added one more to his fan list of millions.

No comments: